View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi I'm New And I'm A Bus Driver Wannabe 

Post Hi I'm New And I'm A Bus Driver Wannabe
I passed the screening test with Metrobus and I have been invited to an assessment day on Tuesday to do a highway code and maths test. I'm looking forward to it and i'm wondering how many stages do you have to go through before you are given a provisional offer of a job prior to training? What questions are asked in the interview and what questions should I be asking? How long is the interview?

Also in the medical and the eye test do they still require you to read a Snellen chart from 3 metres without your glasses on if you wear them and if so why? Surely if you wear glasses it means you cannot see without them? If they do still require you to then it wouldn't be worth me going on Tuesday would it because I have poor eyesight without my glasses.

Kim

Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Post Re: Hi I'm New And I'm A Bus Driver Wannabe
Is this a Metrobus in London (Croydon, Crawley & Orpington) ?

I work for a London bus operator, I went in as a PCV license holder but basically it's the same for trainees

- Maths & Highway code test
- Driving assessment
- Interview
- Medical
- Job offer pending successful references & CRB check
- Job offer with start date - and applying for provisional D entitlement
- Training start: theory, practical and CPC exams
- Once you've passed or you have a PCV license it's basic route learning, ticket machine use, how to use iBus, issued the Big Red Book (a book with scenarios and how you should react to them like TfL's mystery shoppers), customer service, type training on the vehicles (how to operate the equipment, start different buses etc.)
- Off to the garage and onto the spare rota - you should be assigned a senior driver who will help with any questions. You will then be given a list of routes and a time scale to learn them (usually 8 hours per major route, varies per operator)
- You're out on your own, hoping to get put onto a decent rota! Shifts can be split or whole - range from 6 hours to 10 hours it all depends on the rota and duty you're on. Nightbuses are my usual duty as the pay is higher and there's less traffic.

Questions asked are usually - why do you want to be a bus driver, what experience relevant to the job have you got etc. Interview is quite informal, usually 20-30 mins but still give a good impression by dressing smart-casual and being 15 mins early, this is the only time in the bus game you can be early :lol:

If you can pass an eyesight exam for your car test you'll be fine for the bus one. Main thing they look for is peripheral vision. They will test you with and without the glasses - I know drivers who are blind as a bat without their specs and they got through.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you Outnumbered. It's Metrobus Croydon. I'd prefer Orpington but they have no vancancies for that depot.

The Driving assessment. I can only drive vehicles with automatic controls hence why I can drive a Bus if I do well. Someone told me that they require you to have a full manual licence and take you out in a van with manual controls and if you can't drive that then they send you home. Is that right?

i'm a normally positive person but it's just the eye test and driving assessment that worries me. The thing is and I know I shouldn't say this but i've seen many Bus drivers that has amazed me that they passed the assessments and got a job in the first place lol so i'm quite confident.

Sat May 26, 2012 12:22 pm

They will usually take you out in a staff bus (Transit minibus) to see how you react to a larger vehicle. I would assume had you stated on the application that you have an automatic license then they wouldn't have invited you to interview unless they had an intention of assessing your driving.

It is important to go in with confidence - the written tests are simple maths and highway code. The interview quite informal, and the driving assessment is just a drive with one of the instructors - they just want to see that you can be taught how to drive a bus and you are not a liability on the road, again very informal. These might not happen on the same day, you might get the maths and highway code tests and driving assessment might be on the same day, if you pass them then they will interview you. Might be the same day, might be within a week or two.

Once you can pass an eye test to drive normally you should have no worries. My mincers aren't the best and I got through.

Sat May 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you outnumbered :mrgreen:

Sat May 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Does anyone know the cost of the fare from Victoria train station to Gatwick Airport station? I've looked on the TFL website but they don't have any fares for that route. Would paying by Oyster card be cheaper then paying by travelcard?

Mon May 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi

I passed the Highway Code and Maths test today and have been given a date for my driving assessment and interview.

Can anyone tell me what make and size van Metrobus use for the assessment? I want to know so that a week before my assessment I can get someone to hire a van for the day and take me out to get a feel of one before the assessment day.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Hiring a van is a good idea.

I've just been offered a job after being a driving instructor for a few years.

You could always ask a local driving instructor to take you out for an hour. I remember taking a lad out for a couple of sessions before he had an assessment for a community transport service - he got the job

Wed May 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I didn't think there was driving lessons for Vans. So what size of Vans would you recommend?

Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Lol it's ok you mean't asking an instructor to take me out in the hired van :D

Wed May 30, 2012 10:18 pm

No, no no! I meant hire a van to practice yourself and/or get a less on with an instructor in his car to see if he can give you any tips :lol:

Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 am

Groundhog wrote:
No, no no! I meant hire a van to practice yourself and/or get a less on with an instructor in his car to see if he can give you any tips :lol:

Lol ok. I'm going to hire a Van but i'm unsure on what size. Do you know what size Van Metrobus use in the driving assessments. I've looked online and a to hire a transit van near me is a whopping £147 for the day. I'm going to see if i can find cheaper companies.

Thank you so much for your help :D

Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Only ever seen Renault Traffics being used as ferry buses, so it's likely you'll get one of those

Thu May 31, 2012 7:30 pm

Googled them and they are huge. I've never driven one before. I've only driven a car.

Thu May 31, 2012 8:49 pm

I went out in an old DAF LWB minibus so I suppose anything LWB will do the trick

Thu May 31, 2012 8:54 pm

LWB vans are about £80 to hire in Bristol. SWB are £60+

Thu May 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Thank you Groundhog although i'm finding trouble finding one with Automatic transmissions which is what i'm only allowed to drive.

I really really want to succeedin this job application. I learn't to drive specifically to become a bus driver and have worked hard to find the money for the driving lessons and car. Is it much different to driving a car? I know you are sat higher up lol but how are they to control? Also why do the bus companies expect someone to drive a van when they haven't even sat in one before let alone drive one?

Thanks again x

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:42 pm

They may want you to drive a transit van because when you break down (and it will happen) they may require you to drive the fitters van whilst the mechanic drives the bus back to the depot.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Si if I just hire a Transit van then I should be ok with that? I know all the Transit Vans Metrobus have are automatic. How long is the assessment?

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:05 pm

what if a young guy like me cant rent a van? i wanna try this for when i apply for first glasgow again :| good idea mind u , any advise?

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 pm