View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:57 am

Auto to Manual 

Post Auto to Manual
If you want to upgrade your bus licence from an automatic to a manual, do you have to go back and do the hazard perception again or do you just go straight to the practical bit?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:36 am

Hmm, I would've thought just the practical test, but honestly don't know. Maybe give the DVLA in Glasgow a ring? You're not thinking of jumping ship, are you?

EDIT: In fact, if others on here say that their passing of manual HGV tests automatically upgrades their licence, then surely it would just be the practical you'd have to re-do.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 pm

EDIT: In fact, if others on here say that their passing of manual HGV tests automatically upgrades their licence, then surely it would just be the practical you'd have to re-do.

You still need to do both theory tests to do the HGV......... :wink:

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Aye, but what's the point of doing two theories to go from PCV auto to PCV manual?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Post Re: Auto to Manual
northfield27 wrote:
If you want to upgrade your bus licence from an automatic to a manual, do you have to go back and do the hazard perception again or do you just go straight to the practical bit?

You could go and sit a PCV manual test if you wished. I would not be surprised if you had to do the theory again just to get money from you. You can sit your Class 2 (HGV) which does upgrade your PCV license to a manual. But doing all you would have to do your theory and from September the CPC scam comes into force for Trucks.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:19 pm

I think your original theory pass is only valid for a year or two from the original pass date, so if you upgraded after it expired you will need to sit it again. This means your best bet is to go down the HGV Class 2 route to upgrade your license. As for the CPC - your going to have to do it at some point for your PCV so you either do it now or later, Or wait till First put you through it for free then do your HGV as the CPC will be the same for both PCV and HGV.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:23 pm
Profile WWW

You will Need to do the hazard peception part if you passed your test before it came into force.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:27 pm

I dunno how useful having a stick license would be these days. I mean, pretty much all service buses are auto, and the vast majority of new coaches are auto these days as well.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 pm

I dunno how useful having a stick license would be these days. I mean, pretty much all service buses are auto, and the vast majority of new coaches are auto these days as well.

Yes but coach companys want drivers with a manual license even though they have autos. If there ever is a breakdown and there has to be a replacement coach then it could be a manual. Manuals do still get ordered although some coach firms are going for autos.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm

x2_rules wrote:

Yes but coach companys want drivers with a manual license even though they have autos. If there ever is a breakdown and there has to be a replacement coach then it could be a manual. Manuals do still get ordered although some coach firms are going for autos.

Volvos I-Shift from what I hear is classed as a manual, as is Scanias Opticruise.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I think your original theory pass is only valid for a year or two from the original pass date, so if you upgraded after it expired you will need to sit it again. This means your best bet is to go down the HGV Class 2 route to upgrade your license. As for the CPC - your going to have to do it at some point for your PCV so you either do it now or later, Or wait till First put you through it for free then do your HGV as the CPC will be the same for both PCV and HGV.

It`s two years

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:39 pm

madman wrote:
x2_rules wrote:

Volvos I-Shift from what I hear is classed as a manual, as is Scanias Opticruise.

Volvo Ishift is a constant mesh manual box automatically controlled without a clutch pedal. It's an auto. You think all ex first bus drivers working for parks had to upgrade to a manual licence? Nope.

Scanny opticruise...I'm not quite sure as I know at least for trucks you use the clutch pedal to pull away and when stopping so dunno about that one.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:18 am

I done that last year, if u have held your auto license for less than 2 years u can just go in and sit ur manual without having to sit the theory bit but as the theory test only lasts 2 years but you will need to sit the cpc part as its cumpulsory now so if you haven't sat it at the moment you will have to do part of it before you get to use your manual license, thats come from ctts training school as i was gonna sit my c license and have a change from the buses but i'm no gonna bother now.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am

I handed my 10yr Auto licence in for renewal and got a Manual back? You have to love the Irish system! :lol:

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 am
Profile WWW

SickCert wrote:
I handed my 10yr Auto licence in for renewal and got a Manual back? You have to love the Irish system! :lol:

I bet you told them of their error,being the honest person you are :D :wink:

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 am

SickCert wrote:

That's nothing. My cousin took his (car) driving license in the UK, but when he went to South Africa and converted his license for SA use, they gave him a HGV equivalent license with no questions asked!

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:38 am