View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Planning on working for Stagecoach 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 70
Post Planning on working for Stagecoach
Hey peeps 8)

Planning on working for Stagecoach but I'm not sure of what I'll be up against. Is a bus driving test any different to a car driving one? And how difficult is it?

Thanks :wink:


Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 167
Post 
Its as hard as you make it

I struggled to pass mine for reasons entirely in my own head.. the test is not difficult if you're a good driver and strong mentally.
You will have to do the CPC shite as well as your test and your theory test will be harder than mine was

when i did it i thought it was hard.. now after driving for 8 months i wonder what all the fuss was about.. it depends on the person i suppose.. i know guys who breezed the test and had nowt but bumps when the passed and are now seeking pastures new . i struggled with the test it's faor to say but now spend my days flinging 15m coaches (B12 Panthers) round Glasgow and Edinburgh with reckless abandon and no fuss


Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am
Posts: 42
Location: GLASGOW (ex Knightswood)
Post Re: Planning on working for Stagecoach
Ephemeral wrote:
Hey peeps 8)

Planning on working for Stagecoach but I'm not sure of what I'll be up against. Is a bus driving test any different to a car driving one? And how difficult is it?

Thanks :wink:


The bus course and test is - apart from basic driving skills - completely different from the car course and test. What Stagecoach (and especially First!) dont/wont tell you, is that a fair percentage of people drop out of the courses before they get anywhere near their test, and that's because it's nothing like what they expected!

As the poster above says - it's as hard as you make it, but as he also says, you need to be a good driver. If you're a good driver - with confidence - you shouldn't have any problems.
It's exactly like car driving in one respect - you really start learning after you pass.

Best of luck!


Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:15 pm
Posts: 1800
Location: Larkfield
Post 
One wee thing, remember, unlike the car one, your bus test will most likely include motorway driving, although that's probably the easiest part.

_________________
***Calling all First Glasgow drivers: "First- Transforming Travel" is back! Destination screen code 898***


Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 70
Post 
Thank you very much for all your help.

I can't even drive a car at the moment (lol) but I know a fair bit about that from my cousins and friends - should be starting in the next few weeks! I guess then I'll get the feel of driving :)


Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:53 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 62
Post 
bussing is a lot easier having had some experience of car driving, think it might be difficult if you dont have driving basics already. I had a couple of silly bumps when i first started, nothing to worry about. good job imho (though i only work 1 or 2 day a week)


Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:22 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 167
Post 
You part timer you and you stole my dupes last sunday

or someone did.. i was the sad faced bugger on the 20's (my first domestic shift in 5 weeks)

i'll say hello next time i see you


Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:52 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 62
Post 
haha sorry bud, dupes are mine and johns usually :P yeah be nice to put a face to the name :lol:


Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 8287
Location: Leeds
Post 
44AFrequenter wrote:
One wee thing, remember, unlike the car one, your bus test will most likely include motorway driving, although that's probably the easiest part.


Unless there are no motorways in the area you are doing the test! We just used a A road dual carriage way, suppose its almost the same as a motorway like!

_________________
Come and join the fun at the Bus Drivers Canteen: http://thebdc.motionforum.net/forum.htm


Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 70
Location: Stirling
Post Re: Planning on working for Stagecoach
Don't do it and become one of us, we work bloody long hours in shit buses, have shit bosses who just want to disipline u and sack u and u get an unpaid holiday and get ur job back on appeal. We work for a shit rate of pay, they make us drive up to our driving limits, give us the minimum rest period and their running times r bollocks. They wonder y there are accidents but they hold no responsibility also they would have u break the law regarding drivers hours as they don't give a shit, u have to check ur rest periods and breaks constantly and inform them of their mistake as they do not tell u, just hope u don't notice. Gone drive for first or another bus company, if there was jobs in the industry at the moment i certainly would not be driving for stagecoach.

_________________
oh my god i'm a woman well surprise surprise!!


Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:02 pm
Posts: 1624
Location: Brighton
Post Re:
Daisy Dart wrote:
44AFrequenter wrote:
One wee thing, remember, unlike the car one, your bus test will most likely include motorway driving, although that's probably the easiest part.


Unless there are no motorways in the area you are doing the test! We just used a A road dual carriage way, suppose its almost the same as a motorway like!


Same here. The nearest motorway is the M23 up near Crawley which is 20 miles north. The A27 has motorway standard sections though and several places with junctions so really that's what they use for motorway.

_________________
Image


Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:03 pm
Posts: 2
Post Re: Planning on working for Stagecoach
crazy1 wrote:
Don't do it and become one of us, we work bloody long hours in shit buses, have shit bosses who just want to disipline u and sack u and u get an unpaid holiday and get ur job back on appeal. We work for a shit rate of pay, they make us drive up to our driving limits, give us the minimum rest period and their running times r bollocks. They wonder y there are accidents but they hold no responsibility also they would have u break the law regarding drivers hours as they don't give a shit, u have to check ur rest periods and breaks constantly and inform them of their mistake as they do not tell u, just hope u don't notice. Gone drive for first or another bus company, if there was jobs in the industry at the moment i certainly would not be driving for stagecoach.


Interesting view. After 4 years Caoch Driving just moved to Stagecoach service work. Think you need to go and drive coaches for a while to see demanding bosses and long hours at poor rates of pay. Plus no certainty of income or when you are going to be working or off. Despite this my personal preference would be coach driving (I like the variety), but my limited experience of working for Stagecoach is way different from yours. Where I am they are a very friendly bunch and very willing to help.


Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:55 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 205
Post Re: Planning on working for Stagecoach
I must agree that stagecoach is run by a bunch of bandits, no care for their employees, drive you into the ground with long hours, no help when needed, if you don't want a social life, like being abused then go drive a bus or coach, IT REALlY SUCKS
:twisted:

Mind you its fun :lol:


Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.