View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 am

Planning on working for Stagecoach 

Post Planning on working for Stagecoach
Hey peeps 8)

Planning on working for Stagecoach but I'm not sure of what I'll be up against. Is a bus driving test any different to a car driving one? And how difficult is it?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm

I struggled to pass mine for reasons entirely in my own head.. the test is not difficult if you're a good driver and strong mentally.
You will have to do the CPC shite as well as your test and your theory test will be harder than mine was

when i did it i thought it was hard.. now after driving for 8 months i wonder what all the fuss was about.. it depends on the person i suppose.. i know guys who breezed the test and had nowt but bumps when the passed and are now seeking pastures new . i struggled with the test it's faor to say but now spend my days flinging 15m coaches (B12 Panthers) round Glasgow and Edinburgh with reckless abandon and no fuss

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Post Re: Planning on working for Stagecoach
Ephemeral wrote:
Hey peeps 8)

Planning on working for Stagecoach but I'm not sure of what I'll be up against. Is a bus driving test any different to a car driving one? And how difficult is it?

The bus course and test is - apart from basic driving skills - completely different from the car course and test. What Stagecoach (and especially First!) dont/wont tell you, is that a fair percentage of people drop out of the courses before they get anywhere near their test, and that's because it's nothing like what they expected!

As the poster above says - it's as hard as you make it, but as he also says, you need to be a good driver. If you're a good driver - with confidence - you shouldn't have any problems.
It's exactly like car driving in one respect - you really start learning after you pass.

Best of luck!

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 am

One wee thing, remember, unlike the car one, your bus test will most likely include motorway driving, although that's probably the easiest part.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 am

I can't even drive a car at the moment (lol) but I know a fair bit about that from my cousins and friends - should be starting in the next few weeks! I guess then I'll get the feel of driving :)

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:53 pm

bussing is a lot easier having had some experience of car driving, think it might be difficult if you dont have driving basics already. I had a couple of silly bumps when i first started, nothing to worry about. good job imho (though i only work 1 or 2 day a week)

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:22 am

You part timer you and you stole my dupes last sunday

or someone did.. i was the sad faced bugger on the 20's (my first domestic shift in 5 weeks)

i'll say hello next time i see you

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:52 pm

haha sorry bud, dupes are mine and johns usually :P yeah be nice to put a face to the name :lol:

Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 am
Site Admin

One wee thing, remember, unlike the car one, your bus test will most likely include motorway driving, although that's probably the easiest part.

Unless there are no motorways in the area you are doing the test! We just used a A road dual carriage way, suppose its almost the same as a motorway like!

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile WWW

Don't do it and become one of us, we work bloody long hours in shit buses, have shit bosses who just want to disipline u and sack u and u get an unpaid holiday and get ur job back on appeal. We work for a shit rate of pay, they make us drive up to our driving limits, give us the minimum rest period and their running times r bollocks. They wonder y there are accidents but they hold no responsibility also they would have u break the law regarding drivers hours as they don't give a shit, u have to check ur rest periods and breaks constantly and inform them of their mistake as they do not tell u, just hope u don't notice. Gone drive for first or another bus company, if there was jobs in the industry at the moment i certainly would not be driving for stagecoach.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am

Post Re:
Daisy Dart wrote:
44AFrequenter wrote:

Unless there are no motorways in the area you are doing the test! We just used a A road dual carriage way, suppose its almost the same as a motorway like!

Same here. The nearest motorway is the M23 up near Crawley which is 20 miles north. The A27 has motorway standard sections though and several places with junctions so really that's what they use for motorway.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 pm

crazy1 wrote:
Don't do it and become one of us, we work bloody long hours in shit buses, have shit bosses who just want to disipline u and sack u and u get an unpaid holiday and get ur job back on appeal. We work for a shit rate of pay, they make us drive up to our driving limits, give us the minimum rest period and their running times r bollocks. They wonder y there are accidents but they hold no responsibility also they would have u break the law regarding drivers hours as they don't give a shit, u have to check ur rest periods and breaks constantly and inform them of their mistake as they do not tell u, just hope u don't notice. Gone drive for first or another bus company, if there was jobs in the industry at the moment i certainly would not be driving for stagecoach.

Interesting view. After 4 years Caoch Driving just moved to Stagecoach service work. Think you need to go and drive coaches for a while to see demanding bosses and long hours at poor rates of pay. Plus no certainty of income or when you are going to be working or off. Despite this my personal preference would be coach driving (I like the variety), but my limited experience of working for Stagecoach is way different from yours. Where I am they are a very friendly bunch and very willing to help.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:55 pm

I must agree that stagecoach is run by a bunch of bandits, no care for their employees, drive you into the ground with long hours, no help when needed, if you don't want a social life, like being abused then go drive a bus or coach, IT REALlY SUCKS
:twisted:

Mind you its fun :lol:

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm