View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:21 am

auto and manual for pcv 

Post auto and manual for pcv
need some advice thats prob been asked 1000's of times

if i do my pcv test in a auto bus does that limit me to auto coachs and buses or can i drive manuals aswell, i have a manual and auto car licence

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Post Re: auto and manual for pcv
If you have a auto pcv then you can only drive auto buses even though you have a manual for a car you still need a manual pcv for a manual bus. If you have a manual for either you can drive an auto but not the other way round.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm

if i pass in a auto do i just need to do a practical test again in a manual to drive a manual

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 pm

You'd have to do the theory test as well as it all adds up to one giant test really. You could try the "move to Spain" trick though. Also getting your LGV 2 would turn your licence to stick as well.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm

so if i pass in a auto for a bus. then do my lgv2 ill get manual entitlement for buses?

What do wmtravel learn you in manual or auto thats if anybody has had training wsith them

i dont know why all companys dont just learn in manual

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 pm

I think the reason why they don't teach for manuals is the cost in training and the fact that they are less and less manual buses kicking about especially in the group fleets.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:34 am

Would there be any difference in cost between a manual or a automatic?

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:32 am

Its more to stop you jumping ship to coach company's. Saying that most new coaches are auto anyway.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 pm

thats what i thought,

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:30 pm

It's not really in the interest of any operator to 'over train' new staff, and as most bus fleets now contain only automatics there is no incentive for a company to train to manual standard. Possibly your only way into a free manual licence would be to find an operator who still use manual vehicles, Mercedes minibuses or somesuch, and sign up with them, but there is probably scant chance of that in most areas now :(

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:40 pm

The Evil Bus Driver wrote:
You'd have to do the theory test as well as it all adds up to one giant test really. You could try the "move to Spain" trick though. Also getting your LGV 2 would turn your licence to stick as well.

Let's just correct this

Two real choices

Take a Practical Test with a manual bus. As this is only an upgrade you do not require do resit the theory or hazard perception tests.

Or you could take the Category C theory and hazard perception test followed by the Category C Practical Test. Completing the truck test would add a manual entitlement to your Bus licence.

The situation is then further complicated by whether you already hold/don't hold a CPC Driver Qualification Card.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:04 pm

drumoak wrote:
The Evil Bus Driver wrote:
As this is only an upgrade you do not require do resit the theory or hazard perception tests.

I didn't know that. I was under the impression it was a separate test. I stand corrected.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm

hi. i looking to getting my manual license as i only have an auto pcv and wasnt sure if i had to do the theory part again, my 'first' driving instructor told me i would have to do it all again as i passed it over 4years ago, but i called the DSA and was told that i dont and can go in straight 4 the test, which saves me money although the DSA kept me on hold 4 about 30min, so i might off aswell paided to do it again haha

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Plymouth Citybus only train auto as all the fleet is auto. They have a couple of manual coaches but you would never require to drive them. They also took a week away from the training when they switched to an auto training bus.

I asked the question today. A manual driving test would be required. The theory test is the same anyway.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 pm